console - delete what

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 27 09:25:26 PDT 2000

> When installing console tools and data I really got a shock:
> 35 binaries/scripts and 4 quite filled data directories
> and all this just for console!
>
> If the package does not differ between needed things,
> could we work out which stuff will really be needed?

The book cannot begin to tell you to delete this if you don't need this
and delete that if you don't delete that. You can use the appendix to
figure out which binaries are installed with a package and remove the
unwanted ones. Or, what I do: install your packages in say
/usr/console-tools and /usr/console-data

Then go to /usr/console-tools/bin and remove whatever you don't need.
You can then update your PATH or move wanted binaries to /usr/bin and be
done with it (I keep it in /usr/console-tools. That way I can uninstall
console-tools with one simple command rm -r /usr/console-tools)

www.linuxfromscratch.org