updated-2.11

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 27 09:26:59 PDT 2000

> Should we not consider adding the "updated" package to the book?  All the
> distributions out there start the update program in the background
> immediately upon boot.  It flushes various kernel buffers I believe.
>  Anyway - it [seemed to] solved some of the problems I was having with
> getting hwclock to work correctly upon boot.

I wonder if we really need it. The first few lines from ps ax:

chaser:~/pictures$ ps ax
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
    1 ?        S      0:05 init [5]
    2 ?        SW     0:00 [kflushd]
    3 ?        SW     0:00 [kupdate]
    4 ?        SW     0:00 [kpiod]
    5 ?        SW     0:00 [kswapd]

The kernel already started an update daemon so that's why I never added
it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org