building very small

Matt Demaree mdemaree at arcomcontrols.com
Thu Jun 29 08:12:05 PDT 2000

Our company currently has an embedded product built around a very small
kernel from US Software.  This product runs on a 386EX processor with only
1MB of RAM and 1MB of paged FLASH.  I am investigating the possibilities of
building this same system to run on Linux.  The needs are small (no vga, no
keyboard, no mouse, limited interfaces (coms and networking)), but are
interested in building with a 32bit environment (this precludes LEM) so we
can scale up easily to some of our larger platforms including Pentium based
systems.  Has anybody worked closely with really!!! shrinking the Linux core
to its minimum?  Does anyone have a feel for whether or not this may be
do-able?  I figure the core, with networking and coms drivers (and
preferably the loader) must fit under 500K!

Regards, MAD