Is 'file' from old-lfs howto the same...???

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 29 08:59:49 PDT 2000

> Hi guys,
>
> Is the 'file' utility with "lfs" (file-3.26-lfs.tar.gz), the same as the
> regular 'file' program that is located on the ftp://ftp.astron.com
> site...  What I mean, was this utility altered in any way for the lfs
> project...???  The ftp.astron.com site is down, and has been all day...

A while ago I didn't know the official download site for file, so I put
it on linuxfromscratch.org. I now found the original site at
ftp.astron.com. The site's most likely not down, but if you use Netscape
or some other program that uses PASSIVE mode, you can't connect to the
site and that makes it appear to be down in programs like Netscape.

www.linuxfromscratch.org