building very small

Ed Riddle eriddle at linuxcare.com
Thu Jun 29 09:02:17 PDT 2000

Quoting Matt Demaree on Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 10:12:05AM -0500 :
> Our company currently has an embedded product built around a very small
> kernel from US Software.  This product runs on a 386EX processor with only
> 1MB of RAM and 1MB of paged FLASH.  I am investigating the possibilities of
> building this same system to run on Linux.  The needs are small (no vga, no
> keyboard, no mouse, limited interfaces (coms and networking)), but are
> interested in building with a 32bit environment (this precludes LEM) so we
> can scale up easily to some of our larger platforms including Pentium based
> systems.  Has anybody worked closely with really!!! shrinking the Linux core
> to its minimum?  Does anyone have a feel for whether or not this may be
> do-able?  I figure the core, with networking and coms drivers (and
> preferably the loader) must fit under 500K!
>
> Regards, MAD

Hi,

My first post :)  LFS rocks.  Everyone, keep up the good work!

I work for Linuxcare where I have the pleasure of working with very
talented people in the Linux community.  What you are talking about is
not really lfs.  It is more embedded.  I know that many companies,
including Linuxcare, are very active in this arena.  I'd be happy to
point you in the right direction, but not on this list.

Cheers,
ed at linuxcare.com