building very small

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Thu Jun 29 09:05:06 PDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 10:12:05AM -0500, Matt Demaree decided:
> Our company currently has an embedded product built around a very small
> kernel from US Software.  This product runs on a 386EX processor with only
> 1MB of RAM and 1MB of paged FLASH.  I am investigating the possibilities of
> building this same system to run on Linux.  The needs are small (no vga, no
> keyboard, no mouse, limited interfaces (coms and networking)), but are
> interested in building with a 32bit environment (this precludes LEM) so we
> can scale up easily to some of our larger platforms including Pentium based
> systems.  Has anybody worked closely with really!!! shrinking the Linux core
> to its minimum?  Does anyone have a feel for whether or not this may be
> do-able?  I figure the core, with networking and coms drivers (and
> preferably the loader) must fit under 500K!
>
> Regards, MAD

I have been trying to slim down LFS for some time now. While my needs
aren't as small as yours I think I can help (point to help).

Go see:

http://opensource.lineo.com
http://busybox.lineo.com
http://tinylogin.lineo.com

There are two products in particular, BusyBox and TinyLogin that take
the place of most of the binaries in Linux. These were designed with
embedded systems in mind so they are very small. They are GPL'ed.

As far as the kernel goes, I would love to hear what anyone has to say
about slimming it down.

--Randy