Post-LFS Package management

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Thu Jun 29 12:10:10 PDT 2000

No such problems with the RPM.  It detects conflicts when you install (you
can always force it).  So, if there is a conflict - I decide which package
gets to keep the file and which package I am going to remove it from.  Then
I go and change the corresponding spec file and rebuild.  The rebuild can be
a pain in the butt - just to get a single file out of it.  The good thing is
that I keep a generic copy of my system around in a tarball and I can always
get back to baseline.  I then just install the RPMs one by one until I am
back to where I want to be.  The other good thing is that it makes it pretty
easy to install just the components that I want - quickly.  Since I built
the RPM - I know what is in them (via the spec file) and I know they have
been compiled optimized for my hardware.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net