Is it a simple task...???

Ed Riddle eriddle at linuxcare.com
Thu Jun 29 23:48:40 PDT 2000

Quoting Hendrix on Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 03:47:33AM -0230 :
> Hi again,
>
> Would it be a simple or hard task to be able to write scripts and/or
> programs that would build LFS on-the-fly...  For instance, say if I
> wanted to be able to set up LFS so that I can store it on a CD-ROM (much
> like a regular distribution) so that I can install and configure it
> without working from another distribution (like we are doing with LFS
> now)...
>
> For instance, is there a way to be able (after LFS is finished) to make
> a CD-ROM version of LFS that can be installed on a system that doesn't
> already contain a linux distribution...???  Right now, we can't do LFS
> without having another distribution installed...*s*  Hmm...  I'm finding
> it hard to explain myself...*smile*   Anyone know what I mean...
> Thanks...
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Trevor Penney,
> A+, Network+ Certified
> ----------------------
> That's alright, I still got my guitar...
> --

I was thinking of this as well.  I've decided to create a base image
of everything up to chroot.  Then use something like toms root boot
or better yet the Linuxcare bootable business card to put on the CD
with the /lfs directory ready to rsync over.  Then chroot over and
recompile, either by script or not.

As always, feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Ed