Install-Report (LONG)

Andreas Schmidt andreas.schmidt.42 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 30 16:45:07 PDT 2000

Hello,

I also just finished my first system; it is a lot of fun and a great
experience.

> Starting with a working SuSE 6.4-installation I had to create a new partition.

> also works very well. The new partitition was /dev/hda4 located beyond
> the famous 1024 Cylinder of the HD, but the new LILO should not have
> any problems with that.

My LILO refused to compile, I don't know anymore what the problem was;
at the moment I'm still using my old LILO.

> Then I starting getting all necessary software, using freshmeat.net and
> the content of the download-directories I watched for new versions - I
> found that

My sources came from Suse, called "Linux Snapshot May 2000"; it saves
download time, but I didn't really like it.

> To load my german keymap - I decided to use
> /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz
> [After booting later I noticed that the äöüß-keys do not work - I
> have to check that]

The Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO has useful tips:

~/.inputrc

 set editing-mode emacs
 "\e[3~":delete-char
 set meta-flag on
 set convert-meta off
 set output-meta on

Now my äöüß and delete (=Entf) keys work in bash (they did so before in
vi); the 'home' and 'end' keys do not work so far.

 # Preprocessor for less
 # Use with LESSOPEN="|lesspipe.sh %s"

 lesspipe.sh on my system looks like this:

 lesspipe() {
 	case "$1" in
 		*.gz) gzip -dc $1 2>/dev/null ;;
 		*.bz2) bzip2 -dc $1 2>/dev/null ;;
 	esac;
 }

 lesspipe $1

 # End

Last thing I did so far was compiling Xfree 4.0; it took me 65 minutes
(I remember someone wanted to know that; k6-II-500, 128 SDRAM, 128
SWAP). In /etc/ld.so.conf I had to add /usr/X11R6/lib and run ldconfig.
I just can't believe it's running, it's a great feeling. Next thing will
be KDE.

Thank you all, who answered questiones before I asked them, thank you,
Gerard, it's a great project, I never liked my SuSE distributions.

Andreas

-----

The answer is 42.