XFree86 4.0 hangs during build (makedepend)

Simon Perreault nomis80 at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 30 21:19:04 PDT 2000

Ah, a well-discussed subject on this mailing list. The error is caused by a
redefinition of ERR in /usr/include/curses.h, a header file for ncurses.
Here is the easiest way I found to fix it (even easier than the patch):
1) vi /usr/include/curses.h
2) Go to the 195th line (yeah, I know it by heart) by entering 195 and then
pressing the down arrow.
3) Insert "/*" at the beginning of the paragraph about ERR (without the
quotation marks) and "*/" at the end (the paragraph should be 3 lines long).
4) Save the file and re-make.
5) Don't forget to put it back the way it was after you're done compiling.