FHS Compliant...

Gioffre Torricio gioffreus at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 30 23:04:16 PDT 2000

/opt is specifically mentioned in the FHS 2.0 and I think the newer
one as well. Like Gerard says, /opt is for optional software. KDE
defaults its installation root to /opt. Even though KDE is mandatory
for me, I observe KDE's default. I don't want to pollute /usr with
this sort of stuff even though I use it and love it...

Ta for now,
Gioffre
gioffreus at mindspring.com

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000, Ed Riddle says this to us:
== modified quote, "..." indicates "snipped from original" ==
> Quoting Gerard Beekmans on Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 10:54:33AM -0400 :
> >
> > > Is "lfs" FHS-Compliant if it doesn't contain an "/opt" directory...???
> >
> > ... (opt is optional software ...). It's up to you.
>
> I've been thinking about the way I have seen this used.  I kind of
> like the idea of using /opt for binaries that are not compiled from
> source (heaven forbid we use that stuff:).

KDE defaults its installation to /opt if you build it from source.
OpenLinux's Distro observes this KDE convention, but RHL does not
put KDE there. Anyway...