Bash error

Sherab Puntsok alantam at netscape.net
Sun Jun 11 16:55:27 PDT 2000

Hi Gerard,
   Thanks for your reply.
   I've tried your suggestion but to no success as well.
   gcc-2.95.2 was installed in /usr/local/gcc2952.

   Quote from original message:
   command used:
      CC=/usr/local/gcc2952/bin/gcc\
      > ../glibc-2.1.3/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons
   error:
   bash:- --prefix=/usr:No such file or directory

   Details:
   I installed bash-2.03 to /usr/local/bash203 and invoke from there;
no success. Then I reverted bash from 2.04 to bash-2.03 in my base
system Debian 2.1 no success as well. Then I re-installed the whole base
system (in the view that for the last compile of glibc-2.1.3 could break my
system) with the original package of gcc-2.7.2.3, upgraded bash-2.03 and
gcc-2.95.2 to /usr/local/gcc2952; no success too.

   Finally I upgraded gcc to 2.95.2 onto my base system, then do the command
that comes with book 2.3.3 chapter 5 with system gcc-2.95.2 installed
   ../glibc-2.1.3/configure --prefix=/usr
   --enable-add-ons
This time it works, no compliant.

   Thanks for all.
   Alan

> > When I first installed linuxfromscratch, I installed bash 2.0.4 using the
same
> > instructions for bash 2.0.3 that was the then current LFS.
> >
> > That's the environment I just used to rebuild LFS.
> >
> > Could it be related to the fact that for PPC we use a newer (development)
> > binutils? (glibc 2.1.3 requires a higher level than current "stable"
version
> > of binutils for PPC platform).
>
> Everything is possible I suppose. I still haven't seen the error
> personally so I don't have any answers. But if you installed bash-2.04
> without modifications and you then installed Glibc using a bash-2.04
> shell and Glibc didn't complain about illegal characters in variable
> names, then I don't why the reported error was about. I don't think it's
> binutils related. There's only one way to find out for me: install
> bash-2.04 on my next LFS system and then install another LFS system from
> that LFS system and see what happens.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org