how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 2 11:39:28 PST 2000

On November  2, 2000 11:47 am, you wrote:
> Maybe you could instruct the cat users to issue a
> command like :
>
> FAILURE='$FAILURE'
>
> (in the example you cited), before going on
> with the "cat > rc << EOF ..."

If it's just variables that were bothering me that would have been a good
solution

But look at this:

#begin
some junk here
	kill -9 `cat /var/run/$1.pid`
#end

in that cat > out << eof the `cat /var/run/$1.pid` results in bash running
cat /var/run/$1.pid and you can't declare a variable to get around that
problem. Got a solution for that too?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org