how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Thu Nov 2 12:41:37 PST 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[02.11.00 17:30]:
> So we either can't use the content in the book in a cat > out << EOF
> construction and you have copy&paste into vim, or you can do a cat but you
> cannot copy&paste into vim.
>
> Although I would much prefer the cat option personally, not everybody will be
> happy with it.

Agreed.

> A solution could be to create yet another appendix and put the plain scripts
> in there without escape sequences (backslashes). Or tell the readers to
> download the scripts if they don't want to use the 'cat' construction, but i
> rather not do that because it's very limiting.

I would suggest to write a little introductory message (or append to it
;) that the scripts can be DLed and describe the installation of the
tar...- creating all those scripts using cutnpaste was a pain always for
me.

The description of the way to go can look like all the other
installations - and we then could have an appendix with the original
shell-sources of all of the scripts.

Most problems with the scripts were based on problems with cutnpase -
IIRC...

     Ba-no.sig.this.time-lu

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org