how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Thu Nov 2 13:10:14 PST 2000

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On November  2, 2000 11:34 am, you wrote:
> > I think you're worrying too much about trying to make the book do
> > everything.  Books are for reading.  Everything else is downloaded,
> > why not also a tarball of the initial directory structure along with
> > all of the scripts and configuration files from the book?
> >
> > I've already made such a tarball for LFSMake.  See
> > http://www.sunsetsystems.com/lfsmake/lfs-skeleton-1.1.tar.gz.
> > Feel free to copy and massage it for LFS.
>
> The point is to create as much as possible from scratch and not download it
> unless you really have to.

Well, what does "from scratch" mean exactly?  Typing config files in
one keystroke at a time probably fits, but now we're talking about
copy-and-paste, which is just a way of duplicating "en masse" something
from the book.

Suppose the user downloads a tarball, unpacks it, and reviews everything
that results, while reading the relevant sections of the book to
understand what it is, and making any desired changes.  I don't see how
that's any less from-scratch than cutting and pasting, and it will sure
reduce the number of errors and make the book easier to read.

I guess it's a subjective thing, but that's how it strikes me.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org