error on "make install" util-linux

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Nov 2 23:47:28 PST 2000

Hi, you are correct that the MCONFIG file for util-linux-2.10o is
different from the example in the book.

ken_i_m, you gave us this to ponder:
> I was a little confused about exactly how to edit the MCONFIG file for
> the util-linux install. Partly because what I see in the file I have
> does not look exactly like the example in the book. This is what I have
> and did:
>
> # Different optimizations for different cpus.
> ifeq "$(ARCH)" "intel"
>    ifeq "$(CPU)" "i386"
>      OPT=         -pipe -O2 -i686 -fomit-frame-pointer
>    else
>      OPT=          -pipe -O2 -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer
>    endif
> else
>    ifeq "$(ARCH)" "arm"
>
> The "i686" is what I changed from the "-m486" that was there.

The "if; then" construct used in the MCONFIG file for util-linux-2.10o is
different from the book. Reason? I think it changed from how it was in
util-linux-2.10m . This was the version used prior to book-2.4.2 .

Solution for editing MCONFIG (and hopefully your compile problems too):
1) Find the same section in the file and change it to look like ...
# Different optimizations for different cpus.
ifeq "$(ARCH)" "intel"
  ifeq "$(CPU)" "i386"
    OPT=        -pipe -O2 -m386 -fomit-frame-pointer
  else
    OPT=        -pipe -O2 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer
  endif
else
  ifeq "$(ARCH)" "arm"
    OPT=        -pipe -O2 -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer
  else
    OPT=        -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
  endif
endif

Note that only one line changes, the second OPT= line. Like you said,
"i686". I have attached my MCONFIG . It has been gzipped; you can gunzip
it and your file with it. My computer is a "i686" too.

I will also post a notice to the list. Hope this helps! :-)
--
Regards,
J.A. Neitzel
jan at belvento.org