how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 3 07:15:36 PST 2000

On November  3, 2000 04:56 am, you wrote:
> I have just read all the wrong answers to:
>
> cat >file <<EOF
> EOF
>
> giving problems with parameter expansion, command substitution,
> arithmetic expansion, and pathname expansion.
>
> Use:
> cat >file <<"EOF"
> EOF

Well I be darned it actually works ;) Got a technical explanation for this
too? Must be bash scripting stuff I'm not aware of.

But as previously stated by me and others cat'ting for scripts might not be
so desirable (though I'll be using it for my own personal purposes) for
various reasons. Decisions...decisions...decisions

cat constructs or echo constructs won't be used for the boot scripts. I will,
however, add a few lines to chapter7's introduction if people want to use cat
on the scripts. It's as simple as:
manually type: cat > output << "EOF"
<here you cope and paste>
manually type: EOF