Suggestion for low HD people?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 3 07:17:41 PST 2000

On November  2, 2000 04:01 pm, you wrote:
> > The LFS Book mentions the strip --strip-debug command, but perhaps it
> > would be worth mentioning that for those with limited HD space it would
> > probably be helpful to strip files several times throughout the procedure
> > (especially at the end of the pre-chroot section)?
>
> It would be better if the book contained the appropriate switches for
> compiling the packages without debug information in the first place.

The book does that:

>From chapter 6: ch06-debugoptim.html
<quote>
Most programs and libraries by default are compiled with debugging symbols
and optimizing level 2 (gcc options -g and -O2) and are compiled for a
specific CPU. On Intel platforms software is compiled for i386 processors by
default. If you don't wish to run software on other machines other than your
own, you might want to change the default compiler options so that they will
be compiled with a higher optimization level, no debugging symbols and
generate code for your specific architecture. Let me first explain what
debugging symbols are.
</quote>

>From that you can conclude that -g is used to enable debugging symbols, so if
you want to disable it, don't include the -g switch in your $CFLAGS variable
($CFLAGS is explained later on that page)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org