how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

r.floers at web.de r.floers at web.de
Fri Nov 3 09:29:00 PST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:12:00 -0500, Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>> Suggest:
>> - Leave the book c&p and proper reading lecture
>> - Leave catting to those who know how to do it
>> - Leave archive for those too lazy or whatever
>
> I had come to that conclusion myself too. cat'ing will still be used for
> small files like config parms (just so you install Glibc easier with scripts)
> and the boot scripts have to be copy/pasted. Might not be consistent but i
> think in the end it's better. And right there is always the
> bootscripts.tar.bz2 file (which I should mention in the book at some point)

hi there,

this is from the FAQ file that comes with glibc-2.1.3:

[cut]

2.2.    How do I configure GNU libc so that the essential libraries
        like libc.so go into /lib and the other into /usr/lib?

Like all other GNU packages GNU libc is designed to use a base
directory and install all files relative to this.  The default is
/usr/local, because this is safe (it will not damage the system if installed
there).  If you wish to install GNU libc as the primary C library on your
system, set the base directory to /usr (i.e. run configure --prefix=/usr
<other_options>).  Note that this can damage your system; see question 2.3 for
details.

Some systems like Linux have a filesystem standard which makes a difference
between essential libraries and others.  Essential libraries are placed in
/lib because this directory is required to be located on the same disk
partition as /. The /usr subtree might be found on another
partition/disk. If you configure for Linux with --prefix=/usr, then this
will be done automatically.

To install the essential libraries which come with GNU libc in /lib on
systems other than Linux one must explicitly request it.  Autoconf has no
option for this so you have to use a `configparms' file (see the `INSTALL'
file for details).  It should contain:

[cut]

does that mean, that we don't need the configparms file?
i'm not sure about what happens to sysconfdir then, but slibdir should be ok, shouldn't it?

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org