how to proceed with chapter 7 concerning cat > output << EOF

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 13:56:39 PST 2000

Misquoted from Gerard Beekmans on Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:15:36AM -0500:
> On November  3, 2000 04:56 am, you wrote:
> > Use:
> > cat >file <<"EOF"
> > EOF
>
> Well I be darned it actually works ;) Got a technical explanation for this
> too? Must be bash scripting stuff I'm not aware of.

The explanation is that one night I had insomnia so bad that even man bash
could not cure it.

If you have finnished everything you wanted to achieve today, and you have
plenty of coffee to hand, type man bash. Quickly, while you are still
awake type "/>>". Take a deep swig from your coffee mug and start reading.

If you can get to the end of the second paragraph before your brain turns
into a sponge you will also learn how to indent here documents so your
scripts still look pretty.

Oh no - it was decaff and checking the search key has was almost too
much. Got to type the E-mail before it is too late

Richar ahhh oooaaaahh
zzzzZZZzzzz

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org