final hurdle -- boot-up problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 7 10:35:38 PST 2000

> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> /etc/rcS.d/S03localnet: xmalloc: cannot allocate 8 bytes (0 bytes
> allocated) Activating swap.........<etc>     						[OK]

Hmm. Seems a problem with the net-tools and possibly netkit-base binaries.
When you are able to login into the LFS system reinstall those two packages.

> Entering "root" and "mypassword" get me back to the same spot. I can't
> get in. (btw, I may be using the wrong root password in trying to enter the
> system.
> If this is the case, is there a remedy? I'm not sure what the root password
> is,
> if it does exist)

Root password is whatever you have set in the chroot'ed environment. The book
told you to run "passwd root" and enter a password for the user.

You can try to reboot back into your starting distribution and enter chroot,
then run 'pwunconv' in case you had enabled shadow passwords. That might be
causing the login problem as well.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org