reboot problems...again

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Tue Nov 7 16:35:49 PST 2000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:57:32PM -0700, Horton, Robert wrote:
> After re-compiling, I now get this BEFORE the other errors I previously
> listed:
>
> request_module[block-major-8]: root fs not mounted.
>
> Then I get the VFS errors as stated prior...
>
> Robert
>
> --

you compiled the SCSI-stuff as module, not into the kernel itself.
in order to mount your SCSI-disk at boottime, the kernel needs the
SCSI-modules. but the modules are on the SCSI-disk. :(

compile your SCSI-low-level driver and scsi disk support into
your kernel, do not compile them as modules.

btw:the first 16 SCSI-disks have got block-major-8 device files.
(/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt)

RF

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org