LILO bad, GRUB good

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Wed Nov 8 15:28:46 PST 2000

> On November  8, 2000 04:30 pm, you wrote:
> > I can only advise everybody to dump LILO and switch to GRUB. LILO is just
> > too complicated and troublesome. GRUB is more flexible, easier to use and
> > doesn't need to be reinstalled if your kernel changes position on the
> > disk. It also offers a command line for interactive kernel selection (and
> > more) so that you don't even have to bother with its config file if you
> > just want to try out a freshly compiled kernel. I see absolutely *nothing*
> > that speaks in favor of LILO.
>
> If you do move the kernel how does grub then find it again? I'm just curious.
> I might try Grub out some day when I the time to properly test it.

Grub can interpret ext2fs (and other fs, I think even reiserfs) unlike
LILO which can just read raw sectors.
And about testing Grub, that's pretty easy. They have a downloadable image
that you just dd to a disk and off you go. There's no need to install grub
on the hard disk for testing it.

MSB

----
Objectivity is just collective subjectivity.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org