LILO bad, GRUB good

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Wed Nov 8 15:49:05 PST 2000

> I was under the impression that the lilo boot record contained the physical
> location of the kernel (ie block x).  I'm guessing when you moved the
> kernel it just relocated the directory entry and the kernel itself was
> still in the same location on the disk.

Thats right, lilo knows the physical location of the kernel, and mv (on the
same dev) just changes the hard link to the file.
But if you change the file (installing a new kernel) lilo gets confused.
GRUB knows the file system, so it looks after the kernel file name, and boots
whatever that inode points to. If you move the kernel around, you just have
to tell GRUB at *bootup* time: "My kernel now lives under
(hd0)/strangedir/strangename"

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org