LILO bad, GRUB good

Jan Niemann jan at helga.lk.etc.tu-bs.de
Wed Nov 8 16:51:06 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:12:01AM +0100, Christian wrote:
> > GRUB knows the file system, so it looks after the kernel file name, and boots
> > whatever that inode points to. If you move the kernel around, you just have
> > to tell GRUB at *bootup* time: "My kernel now lives under
> > (hd0)/strangedir/strangename"
>
> If GRUB knows about the filesystem is it limited to certain filesystems?
> I wonder whether it can handle reiserfs. If it does, I'd be happy to kick
> lilo off my hd ;)

lilo 21.6 can locate a kernel on a reiserfs partition...
just to give lilo a chance to reside on your hd :)

yes, you don't have to mount reiserfs with notail,
or whatever this horrible mount-option was called.

so migrating from lilo to grub isn't really neccessary...
(please no flames :)

it's even working with reiserfs for linux 2.2
(working for me, iirc the lilo-developers don't
advise you to use it with linux-2.2)

to answer your question : yes, grub can deal with reiserfs.

by,
Jan Niemann

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org