reboot problems...again

Barry Barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Wed Nov 8 16:51:42 PST 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 07:51:50PM -0500, Barry wrote:
> > you may want to try a fully monolithic kernel (no module support) just
> > for now...
>
> This is a good idea, whenever you do an LFS build, just make sure all
> your hardware is compiled in the kernel (aka monolithic) as you have
> less problems(well ofcourse, unless you really know what your doing :)
> dunno.. just modules aren't good for certain things
> (ext2, scsi, ide support, etc :)

yep, and I'll add a few kernel tweaking tips that I've learned over much
trial and error (luckily, more trial than error <EG>)...

1) If you aren't sure about helper tools on the system your building the
new kernel on (any distro, particularly new ones) ALWAYS build an
optimized monolithic kernel first.  This can save you problems later on
if you're building a modular kernel and you accidentally overwrite your
old modules.  This used to be a larger problem with older kernels (2.0
and early 2.2 line)... but it's always a good idea to have a handy
standalone kernel lying around...just in case...

2) any support that you on a regular basis (hard disk support, etc..)
compile into the kernel at all times.  any support that you need only
marginally (SMB, NCPFS, even support for ISO 9660) compile as modules.
This ensures that if any problems with the modules occur, you're not
left with an unbootable system... It's also most efficient, because the
kernel loader doesn't have to handle loading always necessary modules at
boot-up...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org