LILO bad, GRUB good

Rich Rudnick nickrud at citlink.net
Wed Nov 8 21:52:42 PST 2000

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 07:04:50PM -0500, Craig M. Reece wrote:
> Alright, alright I'll give it a try :)

On the subject of lilo, I was intending to make lfs my default boot system.
I altered a little of the lfs book to fit my system: I have a 10meg /boot
on hda, windows on the rest of hda, and mandrake and lfs on hdd. I had to
do this because my emachine's physical layout and cables dictated it.
Therefore, the boot sector on hda was originally written by the mandrake
install lilo: 21.4. (Or maybe I upgraded to it; sysadmin logbooks were not
in my vocabulary then).  Now, I'd like to move nearly all my efforts to
the lfs system, including controlling my boot sequence.  But, when I tried
to update the boot sector with the lilo included with lfs, I get an error
"Fatal: First boot sector is version 21.4. Expecting version 21.6."  Any
suggestions on how to get around this?  I find it annoying to boot mandrake
simply to type 'lilo'.  I suppose I could go back to 21.4, but prefer not
to downgrade for such a trivial reason.

Grub may be good, and can get me around this, but I've enough on my plate
as it is without learning it.

--
Rich Rudnick

nickrud at citlink.net