Installing lfs on same partition as linux system.

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Thu Nov 9 06:53:02 PST 2000

My guess is "yes", but you will need to be aware of some things:

1) Use a chroot'ed environment as soon as possible. Most packages
understand and resprect a --prefix-option, but not all of them (LaTeX for
example doesn't, although you're not likely to install LaTeX on a
firewall). You probably don't want your running system to be messed up by
unwanted newly installed files, and you don't want your new system to be
unable to run because of missing files which were actually installed in
your old system. Symlinks are also quite messy (unless you only have
relative links).

2) You'll need some fantasy in order to untar the system on the target
machine if that machine does not already have an OS. But it's doable, for
example with a mini-linux bootdisk (tomsrtbt, alfalinux etc) and an
FTP-Connection to the laptop.

3) Try not to optimize the code for a Pentium. Configure-scripts are
likely to build the makefiles that way if you don't specify any
options. Use --host=i486-linux-gnu, that should work (shouldn't it?)

Good luck!

florin.

--
[...] try this new version instead, which many people believe to
      be the perfect compromise between new and old bugs. :)

	-- announce of ircII 2.9 "roof"

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org