Can't compile bash.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 13 07:57:03 PST 2000

On November 10, 2000 12:37 pm, you wrote:
> Or just use --with-ncurses

I tried that on my own system, it didn't work...i have no idea why not.

> Seems to me this is what the book should say (and used to ?).

In light of above the symlink is the best way to go. It seems to work on
every single system so far.

> > Gerard, we need a FAQ-Section :)

No, we need LFS-2.4.3 that lets you create the missing symlink during bash's
installlation:

Pasted from:
http://gwaihir.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS-BOOK-INTEL-2.4.3-pre8-HTML/ch05-bash.html

If you get errors when compiling bash that tell you about not being able to
find "-lcurses" run these two commands to create the missing symlink (so far
we have not
enountered one distribution that has this libncurses symlink setup properly,
except for LFS systems where it is setup properly):

     cd /usr/lib &&
     ln -s libncurses.a libcurses.a

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org