Problem with userid.

Frank Langtind frank at langtind.no
Mon Nov 13 11:05:48 PST 2000

Hello.

I've just installed linux from scratch, and almost everything seem to work
perfect. That is, I've compiled everything without severe compile errors. But
there is still two problems:

- When I try to make a password in chroot'ed environment I get the following
error:
bash-2.04# passwd root
passwd: Cannot determine your user name.

whoami returns:
bash-2.04# whoami
whoami: cannot find username for UID 0

I have installed the shadow passwd suite and my passwd and shadow file seem
ok.
bash-2.04# cat shadow
root:x:11274:0:99999:7:::
bash-2.04# cat passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Anybody who have a suggestion?

The other problem is not so critical, but anyhow... When booting up my lfs
the system logger hangs for some minutes and fails to start. The kernel
logger starts without problems.

Thanks in advance!

Frank Langtind

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org