having trouble with setting debian host type on configure

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 13 16:02:34 PST 2000

On November 13, 2000 11:32 am, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope I'm not asking something that has already been discussed, but I've
> checked the archives and I can't find any ref to it.
>
> I've got a fresh debian (potato) install from which I'm trying to install
> an LFS 2.4.2 system on my athlon pc, but I've reached a problem at the
> beginning. When trying to ./configure bash2.04 using the params specified
> in the LFS book, it gives me an error saying it can't guess the host type
> and I must supply one. That's fine as I read the bash INSTALL file which
> says that configure can't guess like it says. Trouble is I'm setting my
> host type like this --host=i386-linux and it still causes problems,
> configure likes that a bit more but then chucks an error later on saying
> that it can't check for a certain condition when cross-compiling.
> I'm a bit new at this and I didn't even realise I was cross compiling, I'm
> sure I've missed something obvious and any help would greatly be
> appreciated as one of the main reasons for me installing this LFS system
> was to raise my general linux knowledge :)

Seems the compiler itself isn't working well. Does the config.log file in the
bash source directory have any additional information as to why you get that
cross-compile problem?

If not, try to compile the following test.c file containing:

/* begin test.c */
#include <stdio.h>
int main() {
	printf("Hello\n");