It boots! Hooray!

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Mon Nov 13 21:52:22 PST 2000

Yo,

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 12:27:40AM -0600, Page Underwood wrote:
> New LFS - booting!  Now for networking, and gotta have some apache, and
> some ftp and telnet and Xfree86 and....

Woo!

If your on a LAN (or standard Cable modem setup) a small suggestion to
/etc/init.d/ethnet (not sure what your on, so throwing this out on the
list, i get asked enough on #LFS)

    start)
        echo -n "Bringing up eth0 interface..."
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 $IP broadcast $BROADCAST netmask $NETMASK
        evaluate_retval

        echo -n "Setting up routing for eth0 interface..."
        /sbin/route add default gw $GATEWAY metric 1

        ;;

And just add your gateway in /etc/sysconf/network =)
The standard bootscript doesn't setup a default route, kinda important
on most networks.

> I also can't say that I know what everything does on the extremely
> minimal but bootable and servicable LFS system.  But I know WAY more
> than I did before. So many aspects of the system are not such a big
> mystery anymore.

Hey, that's a HUGE start, just wait till you do your second system, then
your thrid..twenty ;)

> My only complaint is that I seem to have had too much good luck and only
> a few problems to overcome - I am envious of those of you who had to
> struggle a little more than I have because of how much more you learned
> in the process.

Maybe i should delete my ethnet hint above ;)

Good attitude dude, keep it positive, an active learner is a true geek!
(imho)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org