User/Group Problem

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl
Tue Nov 14 06:19:11 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  Here is a patch I use since July successfully.  We need to wait until
> > 2.4.1 or so (or maybe even 2.5) is released for it to be applied as
> > 2.4.0-test* are currently code-frozen.  Maybe we could apply it to our CVS
> > for now?  Ralf, what do you think?
>
> There is second interpretation of this problem - the address passed to
> mmap is bogus, so this computation needs to be fixed.

 Where is it written mmap() is allowed to fail when a bogus VM address is
passed but MAP_FIXED is not set?  I believe mmap() should choose a
different VM address in this case, as long as much enough contiguous VM
space is available anywhere to satisfy the requested length.

 Surely, map_segment() (see dl-load.c) might call mmap(0, ...) after
mmap(<some_address>, ...) fails when MAP_FIXED is not set but wouldn't
that be a dirty hack?  We'd better fix the kernel.

  Maciej

+        e-mail: macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl, PGP key available        +

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org