make check

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Nov 15 12:39:18 PST 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:06:28PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> This time I used "make check" on all the packages and it fails for
> glibc  even though make returns an exit status of 0 so that a
> simple "make && make install" would proceed even though the lib is
> broken.

a "make check" will hardly ever, and i mean ever, not fail on a certain
option or feature.

Most GNU tools are portable, and they test all there features and
options, some of those options will fail as it isn't supported by the
OS, that's life.

> ../sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h:77: warning: `profile_fixup' declared
> `static' but never defined
> ../sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h:74: warning: `fixup' declared `static' but
>  never defined
> ../sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h:77: warning: `profile_fixup' declared
> `static' but never defined
> gcc: file path prefix `/usr/large_tmp/benkmann/glibc/glibc-build/csu/'
> never used
> ../resolv/mapv4v6addr.h:61: warning: `map_v4v6_address' defined but not
>  used

Warnings can generally be ignored, usually has todo with badly written
code or more "portable" code, or certain features in a newer compiler
(like the warnings you will see in the linux kernel with gcc-2.95.2)

> tst-locale.sh: line 5:  8469 Segmentation fault      I18NPATH=.
> ${common_objpfx}elf/ld.so --library-path $common_objpfx
> ${common_objpfx}locale/localedef --quiet -c -f $charmap -i $input --
> repertoire-map $rep ${common_objpfx}localedata/$out
>

> A segmentation fault is definitely not normal and consequently "make
> check" aborts with exit status !=0.

a segmentation fault is bad, do you know what it is? is it one of the
test programs? i would look into it more if your that paraniod :)

> Does anyone have a clue what the problem is. I have installed
> up-to-date  gcc, binutils, make and gettext on my system (it's a libc5
> based SuSE 5.3)  so an outdated system should not be the problem.

you never know, libc is one of the most important things on a GNU/Linux
system (as SuSE 5.3 isn't running a Glibc 2/libc6 system)

I haven't seen a Perl installation that doesn't give 0 on a make test,
but yet it works just fine, it just means a certain feature which isn't
critial at all isn't working, no worries.

The only true way to find out, is to install the software, use it and if
you have problems, look into it more.

That's my CND$0.02 ;)

PS, IMHO, adding a make test to every single package in LFS will just
complited matters more then need be.

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org