User/Group Problem

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl
Thu Nov 16 04:13:40 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Ld.so isn't linked to the same base address as all other libraries for
> obscure reasons.  Right now dl-machine.h use the constant value of 0x5ffe0000
> as the base address which it assumes all libraries to be linked to - and that
> makes us calculate the wrong base address which we're passing to mmap.

 I don't count this as a bug.  The ELF spec allows shared objects to be
loaded with any load address.  In fact it's great we are non-standard here
-- this makes catching bugs easier.  I've already found and fixed a few
bugs in gdb thanks to this difference.

> So we've got two bugs, not just one.  I knew about the ld.so part since
> Linux/MIPS has shared libs.  It's just that this is the first time this bug
> bites us.

 I insist there is a kernel bug only.  We might change the enforced base
address within ld.so one day to be more like other archs, but let's keep
it for now -- this really benefits.

  Maciej

+        e-mail: macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl, PGP key available        +

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org