init and killscripts runlevel 0 & 6

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 16 05:47:23 PST 2000

On November 16, 2000 08:24 am, you wrote:
> I have a few queston regarding init and runlevel 0 & 6.
>
> I have just rewritten the rc script (send in another mail) and during
> debugging this i noticed that init sends the TERM & KILL signals before
> switching to runlevel 0 or 6. In runlevel 0 & 6 syslogd and klogd are
> stopped and the TERM & KILL signals are send. This is where I got confused.
> If init already sends the TERM & KILL signals syslogd & klogd shouldn't be
> running anymore so why stop them and why send these signals gain ourselves
> ?
>
> Can someone explain this to me?

I can try.

I have seen in the past that sysvinit's sending of TERM and KILL didn't do
anything. Reason unknown. Could be a faulty LFS installation, or faulty
sysvinit. What I do know is that the problem appeared on RedHat and Debian as
well in that time because both distributions had some kind of sendsignals
script like LFS has. So I created one for LFS too. I still don't know whether
sysvinit works or not, but as far as I have been able to test it doesn't. I'm
actually thinking about patching sysvinit not to send those signals and
create a script to send those signals. What if you don't want to send TERM
but something else. sendsignals is easier to modify than recompiling sysvinit
every time you wan to make that change.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org