SBLive

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Fri Nov 17 06:25:34 PST 2000

I thought it was a piece of cake.

The directions are very clear.  And, as a matter of fact, when you install
the drivers, libs and utils - it will place a script in /etc/init.d for you
that is called 'alsasound'.  It is a SYSV style start up script and should
require very little modification to get it to work.  Then you just need to
edit your /etc/modules.conf (according to the INSTALL) to alias the proper
modules.

The emu10k1 module that comes with the 2.4 kernels uses about 1.5% of the
CPU when runing mpg123.  When I used the ALSA drivers I only saw a usage
around 0.2% of the CPU (Athlon 600 on an ABIT KA7-100).  Also, if I was
compiling software (i.e. LFS), I got occasional clicks and gaps when using
the default kernel drivers.  I can run multiple compiles and not notice any
decrease in audio output with the ALSA drivers.  I think that makes a damn
good plug for ALSA if you ask me :)

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net