SBLive

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Fri Nov 17 10:25:18 PST 2000

On Friday 17 November 2000 14:26, you wrote:
> Yo,
>
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 08:25:34AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> > The emu10k1 module that comes with the 2.4 kernels uses about 1.5% of the
> > CPU when runing mpg123.  When I used the ALSA drivers I only saw a usage
> > around 0.2% of the CPU (Athlon 600 on an ABIT KA7-100).  Also, if I was
> > compiling software (i.e. LFS), I got occasional clicks and gaps when
> > using the default kernel drivers.  I can run multiple compiles and not
> > notice any decrease in audio output with the ALSA drivers.  I think that
> > makes a damn good plug for ALSA if you ask me :)
>
> Sure, i don't disagree with you, the ALSA drivers do seem better then
> the default drivers.
>
> But that isn't what i was talking about, i personally don't care of the
> it uses and extra 1.3% CPU (I have lots of extra cycles anyways) what i
> do care is it's easy to setup w/o having to install anything more.
>
> -

What modules do I need exactly? I have the emu10k1 and soundcore, and they
load fine, but I get only strange sounds out of my speaker.
Also cat /dev/sndstat returns No such device!
On my old distro the sound worked fine, using alsa, but for the same reasons
Jesse stated above, I'd rather not use it on my LFS system.

TIA

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org