problems with libc5 base system and GCC

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 17 12:37:30 PST 2000

> statically linked chown from a libc6 system. This is probably not a
> problem for a normal LFS installation as chowns on directories probably
> don't happen before chown is recompiled in chroot.

chown is used during installations.

> wonder why this isn't mentioned in the LFS book. I can't believe this is a
> SuSE specific problem. It should affect all libc5 systems which means that

Why isn't it in the book? Nobody reported it before. The only person I have
met who build a successfull LFS starting with libc5 was Paul Jensen but he
never had these kind of problems. The book does say this:

<quote from chapter 1>
If you don't have Linux installed yet, you won't be able to put this book to
use right away. I suggest you first install a Linux distribution. It really
doesn't matter which one you
install. It also doesn't need to be the latest version, though it shouldn't
be a too old one. If it is about a year old or newer it should do just fine.
You will save yourself a lot of
trouble if your normal system uses glibc-2.1 or newer. Libc5 isn't supported
by this book, though it isn't impossible to use a libc5 system if you have no
choice.
</quote>

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org