init and killscripts runlevel 0 & 6

Donnie Roos dr at kaneda.demon.nl
Mon Nov 20 04:45:55 PST 2000

I have been looking through the code of 'init' yesterday and today
and have come to the following conclusion.

The TERM & KILL signals are only send to the processes that are
started by 'init' (agetty). These signals are _not_ send to all
processes that are running.

I got confused by the message "Sending processes the TERM signal"
as I concluded from this message that 'init' sends all processes
the TERM (and KILL) signal.

So the K-scripts and the sendsignals script are needed to do the
cleanup work of all the processes that we have started ourselves.

Donnie Roos

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org