mailinglists ...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 20 13:23:05 PST 2000

On November 20, 2000 01:55 pm, you wrote:
> In message <0011201003340E.00363 at gwaihir>
>
>           Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > We have discussed this before. The general concensus was that most people
> > didn't like the subject tags (including me) and we also think that any
> > email client worth being called a client (or delivery agent like
> > procmail) should be able to filter on the "from " header which always
> > contains:
> > listname-owner at linuxfromscratch.org
>
> Err, don't you mean the "Sender: " header? From has the name of the poster.
> (But what would I know? I filter on the Envelope-To: header 'cos I have a
> different address for me for every list :)

There is a difference between the From: and the "From " header.

The "From " header is often writting like that enclosed in double quotes
because in the headers of an email From is followd by a space and then the
email address of the sender and the date. From immediate followed by a colon
(:) specifies the sender.

But besidest that I was wrong anyways. "From " used to contain listname-owner
when it went through Majordomo and it mangled the headers that way. It's
still a force of habbit, listar doesn't do it that way. Here are the proper
headers you can filter on:

To: listname at linuxfromscratch.org
CC: listname at linuxfromscratch.org

Return-Path might not be set by your MTA.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org