checkinstall 1.0

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 15:30:22 PST 2000

> Came across a review
> http://www.userlocal.com/reviews/checkinstall/checkinstall.shtml
>
> It works with a utility called installwatch. I was able to download the
> binaries from the checkinstall homepage
> (http://mayams.net/~izto/checkinstall-en.html). Searching for the homepage
> to installwatch returns a link that is 404.
>
> My interest is a utility similar to installwatch that logs all the files
> created, deleted, modified, sym-links, etc. that takes place when
> installing a piece of software so that its removal, upgrading,
> what-have-you can be done cleanly.
>
> Thoughts, ideas . . . ?

Have you read my proposal about using package-users when installing
packages. Every package would be owned by a certain user. All those users
belong to the install group which has write access to /bin,...  with the
sticky bit set.  This does not only have the advantage of you knowing
every file installed with a package, it's also a lot safer than installing
as root. Even a configure script with rm -r / could only damage the files
belonging to this package. I'm currently using this scheme to build an LFS
system and will publish an LFS hint when I'm done. It looks very promising
as far as I can tell. I especially like that it makes installing packages
pretty nifty.

install_package "ncurses 5.1" ncurses system

puts me into /usr/src/ncurses automatically, already su'd to the user
ncurses. All files in that directory (usually the tarball) owned by
ncurses, and a template ./inst script that only requires editing if I want
to use special configure switches. The /usr/src directory also contains a
..project file (gets displayed by finger) which I use to keep notes about
this package like the date I last updated it, the download location and
installation instructions.

MSB

----
Objectivity is just collective subjectivity.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org