checkinstall 1.0

eriddle at linuxcare.com eriddle at linuxcare.com
Mon Nov 20 16:15:33 PST 2000

Quoting ken_i_m on Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:13:51PM -0700 :
> Hey:
>
> Came across a review
> http://www.userlocal.com/reviews/checkinstall/checkinstall.shtml
>
> It works with a utility called installwatch. I was able to download the
> binaries from the checkinstall homepage
> (http://mayams.net/~izto/checkinstall-en.html). Searching for the homepage
> to installwatch returns a link that is 404.
>
> My interest is a utility similar to installwatch that logs all the files
> created, deleted, modified, sym-links, etc. that takes place when
> installing a piece of software so that its removal, upgrading,
> what-have-you can be done cleanly.
>
> Thoughts, ideas . . . ?
>
> I think, therefore, ken_i_m

I have a similar desire, but I've got my production box already :)
For the next one, which I am about to start, I am contemplating a
backup like approach where I will use rsync to create incremental
backups after each install.  I am not sure how it will work, but
I will let you know if you are interested.

Cheers,
Ed

--
Ed Riddle, Linuxcare, Inc.