info -> man pages ?

Scanlan, Brian (5188) Brian.Scanlan at DIGIFONE.COM
Fri Nov 24 03:04:34 PST 2000

Hmm. Create a new man section, full of man formatted
info output. Throw all the man formatted files into
/usr/man/mani, update /etc/man.conf, then to get
info pages, use man i ls... ?

I haven't actually done this yet, but I will this weekend,
when I *touches wood* build my own Linux install.

Brian.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Benkmann [mailto:mbenkmann at gmx.de]
Sent: 23 November 2000 23:04
To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: info -> man pages ?

> I hate info.

So do I and so do a lot of people (the majority?)

> Is there a way to convert info files into man pages? I
> would suppose the answer is yes, and it's simple,

Yes and no. It is simple to create a manpage from an .info file, simply by
reformatting the text to the manpage format. However that would not be a
useful manpage. The advantage of manpages is that they are concise and not
decorated with all that tutorial material in info files. This is something
that you obviously can't remove automatically, not without hints in the
info files. What we'd need is someone to volunteer to place such hints in
the .texi sources and write a program to create a useful manpage out of
them.

MSB

----
God is real, unless declared integer.