info -> man pages ?

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Fri Nov 24 15:18:30 PST 2000

> On Thursday 23 November 2000 20:04, you wrote:
> > I hate info. Is there a way to convert info files into man pages? I
> > would suppose the answer is yes, and it's simple, and I'm just
> > blissfully ignorant of it. What might it be?
> > ---scott
>
> What is your problem with info? It is just a man page with references,

No. It's more. It has tutorial stuff added and spreads useful info (like
switches) over several sections. That makes info files a lot slower for
looking up things. You usually have to navigate through several nodes to
find the info you need. Especially the fact that switches are divided into
groups that are listed separately is very annoying. A simple
alphabetically sorted list of all switches like in normal manpages is a
lot more useful for reference purposes. But fixing that is beyond the
ability of an automatic info -> man converter because it does not only
require reformatting. It also requires rearranging info. And of course the
tutorial stuff in the info pages is just distracting and slowing you down
when you are looking for a specific functionality.
The manpages are the missing link between  --help  and the info pages.
They are more detailed than --help but not as overloaded as the info
pages. It's sad that not creating manpages is GNU policy.

MSB

----
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org