E2fsprogs --with-root-prefix

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 25 14:54:48 PST 2000

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 08:29:06AM +0100, Rudolf Floers wrote:
> > Check the Makefile after running configure without --with-root-prefix=.
> > root_prefix will be /usr, essential bins,libs would be installed in /usr/bin
> > /usr/lib /usr/sbin.
> > the fhs wants them in /bin /lib /sbin.
> > (and e2fsck is essential to me)
>
> Nononononononono...what does FHS have todo with this (i don't care what
> you guys say) it's just common _sense_ to have it with this
> configuration.
>
> Put it this way, if you have a seperate partition for / and /usr you
> want e2fsprogs in /bin and /lib as if you can't mount another partition
> and there in /usr/bin.... they can't help you much,

I don't have /usr mounted as a separate partition. In fact /usr/bin,...
and /bin,... are symlinked so that it doesn't matter where stuff gets
installed. However, if someone has /usr as a separate partition I agree
that stuff like fsck should not be on it. Anyway, I think the LFS book
should contain an explanation for why the switch is used.

MSB

----
An army of sheep led by a lion
is stronger than an army of lions