Sh-utils problem with mv

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 25 14:55:18 PST 2000

> Also, are there any problems with my creating LFS as a normal user and not
> root?  Nothing was mentioned in the introduction about needing to be root.

I strongly advise against doing the installation as root (on your normal
system that is, in chroot there's no problem of course and you'll start
out as root anyway) One little typo like

make prwfix=$LFS/usr install

and the stuff overwrites your normal system. Besides, once chroot comes
into play it can be very confusing, especially if you have several xterms
open with some of them chrooted and some of them not. Not being root on
your normal system can  save you a lot of trouble, especially when doing
an installation at midnight with only one eye open.

MSB

----
I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org