Keymapping, awk, mawk, gawk, MAKEDEV

Arendt sl928ar at uni-duisburg.de
Sat Nov 25 19:48:24 PST 2000

Keymapping (1)
--------------------
There was a problem with the german keymap-file. The keymap, I intend to
use is /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz. From this file
anoter one is included named "de-latin1.kmap.gz". Unfortunately this file is only found
if it is in the path (Which normally is not the case). So I included the full pathname
in the first keymap-file (the one which calls the other one)

I fixed the problem running these commands:

cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz &&
gunzip de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz &&
cat de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap | \
  sed -e 's/de-latin1\.kmap/\/usr\/share\/keymaps\/i386\/qwertz\/de-latin1.kmap/' > de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.new &&
mv de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.new de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap &&
gzip de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap

Keymapping (2)
-------------------------
Now the system runs mostly like I want it to. There is only one thing, I can't get right:
I chose the Korn-Shell instead of bash (because I am more used to it). Using the public-domain-korn-shell
(which you can get at: ftp://ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh/) everything is fine. The german keyboard works and
german characters are displayed. But as soon as I switch to 'bash' the german characters are no longer displayed,
most of the keys are in the right place but the german 'Umlaute' ( Adiaeresis, Udiaeresis, Odiaeresis and Ssharp)
are not displayed and typing them on the keyboard makes my PC-speaker beep.

Notes about
awk, mawk, gawk
--------------------
As I did not succeed in making 'mawk' I gave up and tried 'gawk'.
I made 'gawk' by running these commands:

../configure --prefix=/usr &&
	make &&
	make install &&
	ln -s /usr/bin/gawk /usr/bin/awk

MAKEDEV
When first booting in the new system, i noticed, that my CDROM-drive
was not found ("special device /dev/hdc does not exist"). After running
the following command it was found: (My CD-ROM-drive is master on the
second IDE-controller)

cd /dev &&
../MAKEDEV -v /dev/hdc

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org