glibc configparms file unnecessary

Marcel Martin mmar at mail.com
Sun Nov 26 13:06:06 PST 2000

Hello,

from http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/glibc-FAQ.html#13:

<quote>
13. ``How do I configure GNU libc so that the essential libraries like
libc.so go into /lib and the other into /usr/lib?''

[...]
To install the essential libraries which come with GNU libc in /lib one must
explicitly tell this (except on Linux, see below). Autoconf has no option for
this so you have to use the file where all user supplied additional
information should go in: `configparms' (see the `INSTALL' file). Therefore
the `configparms' file should contain:
        slibdir=/lib
        sysconfdir=/etc
The first line specifies the directory for the essential libraries, the
second line the directory for file which are by tradition placed in a
directory named /etc.

--> No rule without an exception: If you configure for Linux with
--> --prefix=/usr, then slibdir and sysconfdir will automatically be
--> defined as stated above.
</quote>
(emph. added)

The LFS-Book explicitly instructs the reader to create the configparms-file,
but it seems that this is not necessary. Maybe the instruction to create the
file should be replaced by an explanation why it is not necessary to do so.

I hope this issue hasn't been raised before. I'm not subscribed to the
mailing list, but thought this would be the most appropiate address to send
this note.

Marcel
--
 _ _