Kernel upgrade

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Mon Nov 27 07:46:21 PST 2000

I have now a working LFS with kernel 2.2.17, but I heard from a friend
2.4 is way faster, (but maybe that's because he has a cyrix), but I
wanna try anyway. Are there any things that might need recompileng
(exept for the kernel itself) and does anyone know about the stability
of 2.4.0test, is it worth it or should I wait a while keeping in mind
that a stable system is more value to me than a fast system (it's a
server, so it won't reboot often anyway...),

BTW what's the system.map file for? I accidently didn't install it, but
the lfs boots anyway... (? a normal sys does boot when it finds a wrong
system.map, it just gives tons of error messages, but not if it's not
present? weird)

Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Last update: 2000-11-23
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: